Fulbright Master’s Degree Scholarship Awards for Sri Lankans
Eligibility Requirements and Guidelines for Applying
Overview of Fulbright Master’s Degree Scholarship Awards
The Fulbright Master’s Degree Scholarship Awards is administered by the United States-Sri Lanka Fulbright Commission (US-SLFC) in partnership with Institute of International Education (IIE). These awards are given to the very top Sri Lankan students. Students studying in all disciplines except clinical medicine can apply. The awards fund graduate study for a limited number of students, selected for their academic excellence, to pursue a Master’s degree in universities in the U.S. Priority will be given to students that will return to build the capacity of Sri Lanka, and to students who have not had prior exposure to the U.S.We recommend that you contact Fulbright Sri Lanka’s EducationUSA Student Advising Services. These services include individual advising to help match you with the right university for you, the US-SLFC library, online access for researching American universities, and much else. We recommend that you provide 3-4 universities as your initial choice of institutions in your application.
Please Note: Due to the large number of applications received, US-SLFC is unable to acknowledge receipt of applications. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.
- Pre-departure orientation program in Colombo.
- Tuition, fees and monthly living stipend (this may include cost-sharing from U.S. universities)
- Round-trip economy class air travel from Sri Lanka to the host institution in the U.S.
- Health insurance
- U.S. university admission advising and placement support
- Support for standardized tests
- Fulbright enrichment activities
- Immigration advising and immigration sponsorship support
Please note: The Fulbright program does not provide any financial support for accompanying dependents.
- Sri Lankan citizen
- Must have continuously resided in Sri Lanka for a minimum of 2 years immediately prior to the award application deadline
- Possess a 4-year bachelor’s degree from a recognized Sri Lankan university
- Applicants with degrees from non-Sri Lankan universities are welcome to apply provided they possess the equivalent of a 4-year Sri Lankan degree
- Applicants with 3-year degrees from Sri Lanka and India are required to possess a relevant post-graduate qualification (for example, a post-graduate diploma or a Master’s degree)
- High level of academic and professional achievement
- Demonstrate proficiency in the English language and superior communication skills
- Depending on which American university you attend, certain TOEFL scores may be required
- Have at least 1 year of full-time paid professional work experience in the proposed field of study by the application deadline
- Must not have another degree from a U.S. university or be enrolled in a U.S. degree program
- Must not be applying for or holding permanent resident visa (Green Card) in the United States, not be dual U.S.-Sri Lanka citizen, and not hold work or resident visa in another country
- If employed, must provide evidence that leave will be granted for the fellowship period if selected
- Commitment to foster understanding and peace between the people of the U.S. and people of Sri Lanka
- Must reside in Sri Lanka for a minimum of 2 years following the completion of the grant
- Must have very few or preferably no opportunities to travel to the U.S.
- Demonstrate a commitment to return to Sri Lanka to live and work for at least 5 years after the conclusion of the program
- Demonstrate strong academic and leadership potential
- Demonstrate the ability to function well in a U.S. institute of higher education
- Be able to live and work closely with people from a variety of backgrounds and interact in a culturally sensitive way with others
- Ministry of Education officials
- Staff or families of staff at a U.S. Embassy or US-SLFC
- Misrepresentation, false information, or plagiarism of any kind during the application or grant period is grounds for selection withdrawal or immediate grant termination
Period of Award
A maximum of 2 academic years (awards are for a Master’s degree only)
May 31, 2024
Next Steps for Short-listed Candidates
Mandatory Interviews at US-SLFC Offices in Colombo during August 2024 (dates will be sent if you are shortlisted).
For More Information and To Apply
To learn more about and apply for the Fulbright Master’s Degree Scholarship Awards for Sri Lankans please see this website from our partners at IIE https://apply.iie.org/ffsp2025
Please note: You must register on this website to access information and apply.
For questions, write to: firstname.lastname@example.org