Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Awards for Sri Lankans
Eligibility Requirements and Guidelines for Applying Overview of Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Awards
The Hubert Humphrey Fellowship is specially designed for mid-career professionals who will help solve the world’s most pressing problems. The Humphrey Fellowship connects Sri Lankans with Americans for a ten-month non-degree program of graduate level academic coursework and practical professional experiences. Some awards also offer English training to facilitate the participation of applicants who may be excellent candidates but lack the necessary language skills. Candidates must be committed to public service that enhances Sri Lanka upon their return. For general information on the program, please see the Institute of International Education’s Humphrey Fellowship website.
- Pre-departure orientation program in Colombo
- Monthly living stipend while in the USA
- Round-trip economy class air travel from Sri Lanka to the host organization in the U.S.
- Health insurance
- Fulbright enrichment activities
- Immigration advising and immigration sponsorship support
Please note: The Fulbright program does not provide any financial support for accompanying dependents.
- Sri Lankan citizen
- Must have continuously resided in Sri Lanka for a minimum of 2 years immediately prior to the award application deadline
- Demonstrate aptitude and accomplishment in the your academic, artistic or professional field thorough awards received, achievements and output
- Have a minimum of 5 years of experience in your field
- Demonstrate commitment to sharing knowledge with counterparts and the public in Sri Lanka
- Possess a letter of invitation from a host institution in the U.S.
- Must not be applying for or holding permanent resident visa (Green Card) in the United States, not be dual U.S.-Sri Lanka citizen, and not hold work or resident visa in another country
- Must provide evidence that leave will be granted for the fellowship period, if selected
- Must reside in Sri Lanka for a minimum of 2 years following the completion of the grant
- Demonstrate proficiency in the English language and superior communication skills
- Commitment to foster understanding and peace between the people of the U.S. and people of Sri Lanka
- Mid-career professionals in leadership positions with a commitment to public service and to the development of Sri Lanka.
- Candidates may be employed in either the public or private sector.
- Must have very few or preferably no previous opportunities to travel to the U.S.
- Demonstrate a commitment to return to Sri Lanka to live and work for at least 5 years after the conclusion of the program
- Demonstrate strong professional leadership potential
- Demonstrate the ability to function well in the U.S.
- Be able to live and work closely with people from a variety of backgrounds and interact in a culturally sensitive way with others
- Areas of Expertise Preferred for Humphrey Fellows:
Human and Institutional Capacity
- Economic Development and Entrepreneurship
- Finance and Banking
- Public Policy and Public Administration
- Technological Leadership
Rights and Freedoms
- Law and Human Rights
- Agricultural and Rural Development
- Natural Resources, Environmental Policy and Climate Change
- Urban and Regional Planning
- Educational Administration, Planning & Policy
- Public Health Policy and Management
- Substance Abuse Education, Treatment & Prevention
- Ministry of Education officials
- Staff or families of staff at a U.S. Embassy or US-SLFC
- Misrepresentation, false information, or plagiarism of any kind during the application or grant period is grounds for selection withdrawal or immediate grant termination
Period of Award
June 30, 2024
Please note: Link to the online application form and detailed instructions for the 2025 Awards will be available here in April 2024
Next Steps for Short-listed Candidates
Mandatory Interviews at US-SLFC Offices in Colombo during August 2024 (dates will be sent if you are shortlisted)
For More Information and To Apply
To learn more about and apply for the Fulbright Awards for Sri Lankan academics, artists, and professionals please see this website from our partners at IIE (please check back in April for links to application materials)
Please note: You must register on this website to access information and apply.
Additional note: US-SLFC’s free Educational Advising services including Fulbright Sri Lanka’s library and other resources, can assist you to research and identify potential U.S. universities or organizations where you can pursue your program activities.
For questions, write to: firstname.lastname@example.org