United States – Sri Lanka Fulbright Commission
Fulbright Master’s Fellowship Awards
Applications Currently Open
General Information about the Fulbright Program and the Fulbright Master’s Fellowship Awards:
The Fulbright Program: The Fulbright program is a prestigious international exchange program that is administered worldwide. The Fulbright program promotes mutual understanding between the United States and Sri Lanka through educational and cultural exchange programs. For 70 years, the Fulbright program has witnessed an exchange of students/scholars, professionals and teachers between the two countries and provided opportunities for personal, academic and professional growth, and built capacity in both countries. The Fulbright program aims at fostering bi-lateral relationships and bringing the people of the United States and people of Sri Lankan closer together.
The Fulbright Masters Fellowship Awards: The United States-Sri Lanka Fulbright Commission (US-SLFC) invites applications from outstanding candidates for the Fulbright Master’s Fellowship Awards for the academic year 2024-2025. Applications are accepted in all disciplines (except clinical medicine) with priority given to fields of study that will strengthen expertise and build capacity in Sri Lanka. The awards fund graduate study for a limited number of students, selected for their academic excellence, to pursue a Master’s degree in universities in the U.S. Applicants who have not had extensive prior exposure to the United States are encouraged to apply and will be given preference.
The fellowship award will provide the following benefits: U.S. university admission advising and placement support including support for standardized tests; round-trip economy class air travel from Sri Lanka to the host institution in the U.S.; tuition, fees and living related costs/stipend combined with cost-sharing from U.S. universities; health insurance as per U.S. government guidelines; Fulbright enrichment activities; and immigration advising and immigration sponsorship support. The award does not provide any financial support for accompanying dependents.
- Be Sri Lankan citizens and have continuously resided in Sri Lanka for a minimum of 2 years immediately prior to the award application deadline
- Possess a 4-year bachelor’s degree from a recognized Sri Lankan university. Applicants with degrees from non-Sri Lankan universities are welcome to apply provided they possess the equivalent of a 4-year Sri Lankan degree. Applicants with 3-year degrees from Sri Lanka and India are required to possess a relevant post-graduate qualification (for example, a post-graduate diploma or a Master’s degree)
- Have a high level of academic/professional achievement
- Must demonstrate proficiency in the English language and superior communication
skills to undertake graduate studies; to foster understanding between the people of the U.S. and people of Sri Lanka; and to transition to the U.S. successfully
- Possess at a minimum, 1 year of full time (paid) post-qualifying, professional work experience in the proposed field of study by the application deadline
- Be below the age of 35 years by the application deadline
- Must not have another degree from a U.S. university or be enrolled in a U.S. degree program
- (U.S. & Sri Lanka) and must not hold work or resident visas in another country
- If employed, must provide evidence that leave will be granted for the fellowship period if selected
Duration of Award
A maximum of 2 academic years (awards are for a Master’s degree only)
Applications: Currently Open.
Application Deadline: May 31, 2023
The application for the Master’s Award Fellowship must be submitted online using the link below and must be completed fully with all the required support documents uploaded to the online application by the deadline.
- Please read the Fulbright Master’s Awards Application Instructions carefully, prior to starting the online application. All instructions on completing the online application are described in the instructions. In addition, please also review Essay-Guidelines that contains tips on preparing the required essays and guidance on Plagiarism
- Link to the online application form and instructions: https://apply.iie.org/ffsp2024
- You need to have an email address to create a log-in to complete the application
- US-SLFC’s free Educational Advising service, including the US-SLFC library and other resources, can assist you to research and identify potential U.S. universities to pursue a Master’s degree in your fields of study. You are recommended to provide 3-4 universities that best fit your educational objectives and academic background in your application, as your initial choice of institutions.
- For questions: Write to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mandatory Interviews: (of shortlisted candidates only): July/August, 2023
- Each applicant may not apply to more than one award category during a competition cycle.
- All successful candidates will be required to reside in Sri Lanka for a minimum of 2 years following the completion of the grant.
- Dependents will not be supported financially on this grant, but selected grantees may take their dependents at their own expense.
- Material misrepresentation (e.g., plagiarism) at any time during the application or grant period is grounds for selection withdrawal or grant termination, as well as ineligibility for application to any US-SLFC grants in the future.
- Applications (including all support documents) received after the deadline will NOT be considered.
- Staff and immediate family members of organizations/programs affiliated with the Fulbright Program (such as the Fulbright Commission, U.S. Embassy, USAID, IIE, reviewers) are not eligible to apply.
- Prospective Fulbright awards applicants should be aware that public health conditions, availability of consular services and travel, as well as U.S. institutional operating status and policies may affect their ability to travel to the U.S. and participate in academic programs.
Due to the large volume of applications for this award, US-SLFC is unable to acknowledge receipt of applications, and only candidates shortlisted for interviews will be notified
If you have any questions regarding this program, please write to: email@example.com.
- Education USA Opportunity Fund Program
- Fulbright Advanced Research and Lecturing Awards
- Fulbright Awards for Sri Lankan Citizens
- Fulbright Masters Fellowship Awards
- Fulbright Professional Scholar Awards
- Fulbright Specialist Awards
- Fulbright Teaching Excellence and Achievement Awards
- Guidelines for Obtaining a Letter of Invitation from a US University, Institution – Scholar Awards
- Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Programme