Currently Accepting Applications!
Are you a bright, talented and highly motivated student with a dream of studying in the United States, with potential for full financial support from a U.S. university, but does the initial cost of applying for admission prevent you from working towards this dream?
- Education USA Opportunity Fund Program
- Fulbright Advanced Research and Lecturing Awards
- Fulbright Awards for Sri Lankan Citizens
- Fulbright Masters Fellowship Awards
- Fulbright Professional Scholar Awards
- Fulbright Specialist Awards
- Fulbright Teaching Excellence and Achievement Awards
- Guidelines for Obtaining a Letter of Invitation from a US University, Institution – Scholar Awards
- Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Programme
The EducationUSA Opportunity Fund (OF) Program helps academically outstanding Sri Lankan students overcome great odds to pursue their dreams of obtaining a U.S. education. This is your chance to be a part of this program!
The OF Program selects students who have excelled academically and have the potential and promise to be awarded substantial institutional financial support, but who have difficulty paying the up-front costs of applying to U.S. universities, and supports them financially to meet the up-front costs. Support for up-front costs include: standardized test preparation, test registration and score reporting fees, admission application fees, airfare, etc. The Program also guides students with comprehensive advising; to research and identify suitable universities, prepare for standardized tests and apply for admission. The Program provides supports for admission for the academic year 2024. The Opportunity Fund Program only provides support for initial up-front costs to apply for admission to U.S. universities and does not cover expenses while in the U.S.
Applications accepted from students applying from Bachelor’s, Master’s or Ph.D. degrees. Applicants must demonstrate financial need (see application instructions). The OF Program expects a sincere commitment in time and effort from participants in the program to enable students to achieve their dream of studying in the United States.
- Applicants meeting the eligibility criteria listed below should submit the required application material described below via registered post mail to reach the Fulbright Commission by March 31, 2023
- The Fulbright Commission reviews applications and shortlists potential candidates
- Shortlisted candidates are invited to sit for a mock exam of a standardized test required for admission to U.S. universities
- Based on the performance at the mock exam, finalists are invited for interviews
- Selected OF Program participants are notified of selections and will begin the process of guided advising, university selections, preparation for standardized admission tests, preparing and submitting admission applications, etc.
- Be Sri Lankan citizens and have continuously resided in Sri Lanka for a minimum of 2 years immediately prior to the award application deadline
- Applicants for a Bachelor’s degree: Three (3) ‘A’ passes at the G. C. E. Advanced Level Examination
- Applicants for a Master’s/Ph.D. degree: Four-year bachelor’s degree, with GPA of 3.5 or first-class honors.
- All applicants should have the potential and promise to secure scholarships/financial support to study at U.S. universities
- Applicants must demonstrate financial need and not have the financial means to cover up-front costs
- Applicants must not be applying for or holding permanent resident visas (green cards) in the United States; must not be a dual citizen; (U.S. & Sri Lanka) and must not hold work or resident visas in another country
Applications should include:
- Application Form
- Proof of disadvantaged financial background: assessed via parents’ level of education, employment details and salary slips/pension slips, utility bills (i.e., telephone bills, electricity bills, etc.), confirmation of family income, savings and expenses (i.e., credit card statements, bank statements, FD statements stating current balance, etc., for 6 months) family assets (i.e., property, vehicles, house, etc.), information about previous vacations abroad, etc.
- If the applicant is employed, salary slips and bank statements for the past 6 months
- A letter from applicant’s school Principal (for students applying for Bachelor’s degrees) or a letter from a faculty member (for students applying for Master’s and PhD programs) confirming that you come from a financially disadvantaged background and can benefit from this program
- A current CV and copies of educational certificates and academic transcripts
- A 650 -1000-word essay on the title, “Challenges and obstacles that I have faced while pursing my dream of studying in the United States and how I see the Opportunity Funds Program as a resource to overcome them.”
Please submit your application by registered post to reach the Fulbright Commission on or before
Friday, March 31, 2023 to the following address:
EducationUSA Opportunity Funds Program
United States-Sri Lanka Fulbright Commission
23, Gower Street, Colombo 5
Shortlisted applicants will be invited for a written test similar to the SAT exam (for students applying for a Bachelor’s degree) and the GRE exam (for students applying for Master’s or PhD programs). Based on the test scores, finalists will be invited for an interview.
Note: Applicants are expected to prepare for the relevant mock exam prior to and after submitting their applications. The results of this mock exam will impact being selected for an interview to be considered for an award. The following websites provide test preparation and study material including a full-length test.
For students applying for Bachelor’s degrees: SAT: http://sat.collegeboard.org/home
For students applying for Master’s/PhD programs: GRE: http://www.ets.org/gre
Applicants not selected for an Opportunity Funds Program will be offered free educational advising which will include an overview of the U.S. education system, advice on selecting and applying to U.S. universities, securing scholarships, teaching/ research assistantships, etc.
Note: Selection to participate in the OF Program is no guarantee of a scholarship or financial support to study in the U.S.
If you have any questions, please write to: email@example.com